Monday 22 February 2010

Pop Music - "Cool can wear sunglasses and leather"

 
Today I put out a request on twitter (sharonmatheson) asking for some good pop tune recommendations and was pleasantly surprised with an incredible amount of responses containing amazing yet credible pop! The responses came from 2 label execs, 1 Drum & Bass DJ and 3 avid Musos! Very impressed! Pop is once again cool and I'm not going to lie, I love it!

While an explanation as to why pop is just so damn cool is probably not required, I highly recommend this article by Joel Selvin and James Sullivan: POP MUSIC / Quintessential cool.

Reading this article along with the great responses to my tweet inspired me to make yet another play list – this time with all my favourite (and of course newly discovered) pop songs! Here is a wee sample:

 M.I.A – Paper Planes
 Punch and Judys – You Fell in Love with a DJ
 The Go Team – Ladyflash
 MGMT – Time to Pretend

 Apparently a term new was invented to describe the above music. That term is "Wonky Pop" I hate it!!! There was no need! As the Joel Selvin and James Sullivan article linked to above states:
"Cool knows its own ability, and it doesn't need to advertise. Cool keeps its verve in reserve. Cool hints at mystery, eccentricity, a bit of contempt. Cool doesn't break a sweat." 

No comments: